Explore the World of Ice at Fairbanks Ice Museum
Looking for an unforgettable adventure in the frozen north? Look no further than the Fairbanks Ice Museum, located in the heart of Alaska. This remarkable attraction offers visitors the chance to explore a world crafted entirely out of ice, from intricately carved sculptures to towering architectural wonders.
Whether you’re seeking a unique cultural experience, a chance to beat the summer heat, or simply an opportunity to marvel at the beauty of ice, the Fairbanks Ice Museum is a must-see destination that will leave you breathless.
About Fairbanks Ice Museum & Brief History
The Fairbanks Ice Museum did not open in 1939. In fact, the museum was founded in 2004 by a group of ice sculptors and enthusiasts. The museum’s official website, icemuseum.com, confirms this information.
The Fairbanks Ice Museum is a unique attraction located in Fairbanks, Alaska. As the name suggests, the museum is made entirely of ice and features a variety of stunning sculptures and interactive exhibits.
The museum was founded in 2004 by a group of ice sculptors and enthusiasts who wanted to showcase the art and science of ice sculpting to visitors from around the world. In its early years, the museum was a modest affair, featuring just a few sculptures and exhibits in a small building.
However, as word of the museum’s unique offerings spread, it quickly became clear that more space was needed to accommodate the growing crowds. In 2008, the museum moved to a larger location, which allowed for the creation of even more elaborate sculptures and exhibits.
Today, the Fairbanks Ice Museum is a true marvel of engineering and artistry, with a team of skilled ice sculptors working year-round to create stunning new creations for visitors to enjoy. Whether you’re a lover of art, or architecture, or just looking for a unique experience in the great state of Alaska, the Fairbanks Ice Museum is a must-see attraction.
How to get there?
The Fairbanks Ice Museum is located at 500 2nd Ave in Fairbanks, Alaska. There are several ways to get to the museum depending on your starting point and mode of transportation.
If you are arriving by car, the museum is located just off the Parks Highway in downtown Fairbanks. From the highway, turn onto 2nd Ave and continue for two blocks until you reach the museum on your right.
If you are arriving by public transportation, Fairbanks offers several bus routes that stop near the museum. You can check the Fairbanks North Star Borough’s website for the most up-to-date bus schedules and routes.
If you are arriving by air, Fairbanks International Airport is the closest airport to the museum. From the airport, you can rent a car, take a taxi or ride-sharing service, or use public transportation to get to the museum.
Fairbanks ice museum hours of operations
Fairbanks ice museum Map and Address
500 2nd Ave, Fairbanks, AK 99701, United States
If you would like to contact the Fairbanks Ice Museum, you can do so using the following information:
Phone: +1 907-451-8222 Website: http://icemuseum.com/
You can visit the museum’s website to learn more about the exhibits, hours of operation, ticket prices, and other important information. If you have any specific questions or concerns, you can call the museum’s phone number to speak with a representative. The museum staff are friendly and knowledgeable and will be happy to assist you with any inquiries you may have.
Fairbanks ice museum Tickets Price (Visitor pricing)
The current prices are available on the museum’s website and are as follows:
- Adults: $15.00
- Kids (age 6-14): $10.00
- Groups (10+): $12.00
- Adults: $10.00
- Kids (age 6-14): $8.00
- Groups (10+): $8.00
Best Value Combos:
- Ice & Aurora Combos: $22.00
- Kids Combos: $18.00
- Adults Group Combo: $20.00
- Kids Group Combo: $16.00
Please note that prices are subject to change and it’s always best to confirm current pricing on the museum’s website or by calling ahead.
Things to Do
The Fairbanks Ice Museum offers a variety of activities and exhibits that visitors can enjoy during their visit. Here are some things to do at the museum:
- Explore the Ice Art Gallery: The museum features a stunning collection of ice sculptures and carvings, created by some of the world’s top ice artists.
- Watch an Aurora Show: The museum also offers an aurora light show that simulates the northern lights, a mesmerizing natural phenomenon that can be seen in Fairbanks during the winter months.
- Learn about the History of Ice: The museum offers educational exhibits that explore the science and history of ice, including how glaciers are formed and the role of ice in Arctic ecosystems.
- Visit the Ice Cream Parlor: The museum’s Ice Cream Parlor offers a variety of delicious ice cream flavors, made on-site using pure Alaska glacier water.
- Attend an Event: The museum hosts a variety of events throughout the year, including ice carving demonstrations, live music performances, and holiday celebrations.
- Take a Tour: The museum offers guided tours that provide a deeper insight into the exhibits and the history of ice.
- Visit the Gift Shop: The museum’s gift shop offers a variety of unique souvenirs and gifts, including hand-carved ice sculptures and locally made crafts.
These are just a few of the many things to do and see at the Fairbanks Ice Museum. Whether you’re a science enthusiast, an art lover, or just looking for a fun and unique experience, the museum has something for everyone.
Fairbanks ice museum Photos
How Should You Dress for the Museum?
Since the Fairbanks Ice Museum is a refrigerated facility, it’s important to dress warmly to stay comfortable during your visit. Here are some tips on how to dress for the museum:
- Wear layers: It’s a good idea to wear layers, as the temperature inside the museum can vary depending on the exhibit. You can wear a warm base layer, a sweater or fleece, and a coat or jacket on top.
- Dress warmly: Make sure to wear warm clothing such as a hat, gloves, and a scarf to keep your head, hands, and neck warm.
- Wear appropriate footwear: It’s essential to wear shoes that are comfortable and provide good traction. Sneakers or winter boots are a good choice.
- Bring extra accessories: You may want to consider bringing extra accessories such as hand warmers or earmuffs to stay extra cozy during your visit.
Overall, dressing in warm layers is the key to staying comfortable during your visit to the Fairbanks Ice Museum.
Must Explore Post– Best Places to Visit in Maldives
Attractions at the Fairbanks Ice Museum
The Fairbanks Ice Museum boasts several captivating attractions that showcase the beauty and versatility of ice. Here are some of the top attractions you can explore:
Ice Sculptures: The museum’s Ice Art Gallery features a stunning collection of ice sculptures created by some of the world’s most talented ice artists. Visitors can marvel at the intricate details of each sculpture and appreciate the beauty of ice as a medium for artistic expression. The sculptures are made using a variety of techniques, including chainsaws, chisels, and power tools.
Ice Architecture: In addition to the ice sculptures, the museum also features stunning ice architecture that showcases the versatility of ice as a building material. The ice architecture includes arches, pillars, and other structural elements that are designed to support the weight of the ice. Visitors can explore the architecture and learn about the engineering behind its construction.
Interactive Exhibits: The Fairbanks Ice Museum offers a variety of interactive exhibits that provide a hands-on learning experience for visitors of all ages. These exhibits include a “Touch the Ice” exhibit, where visitors can touch and feel different types of ice, as well as a “Frozen Science” exhibit that explores the properties of ice and how it behaves in different environments. Visitors can also take part in ice carving demonstrations and other interactive activities.
Overall, the Fairbanks Ice Museum offers a unique and captivating experience for visitors who are interested in the beauty and versatility of ice as a medium for art and architecture. Whether you’re a science enthusiast, an art lover, or just looking for a fun and unique experience, the museum has something for everyone.
You Also May Like it– Top 22 Places to Visit in Phuket |Thailand
Tips for making the most of your visit
If you’re planning a visit to the Fairbanks Ice Museum, here are some tips to help you make the most of your experience:
- Dress appropriately: The museum is kept at a temperature of -20°F/-29°C, so make sure to dress warmly in layers, hats, and gloves.
- Take a guided tour: The museum offers guided tours that provide in-depth information about ice sculptures, architecture, and exhibits. This is a great way to learn more about the museum’s history and gain a deeper appreciation for the art and engineering behind the shows.
- Attend an Aurora Show: The museum also offers Aurora Shows, where visitors can experience the stunning natural phenomenon of the Northern Lights in a unique setting. These shows are offered on select nights, so check the museum’s website for dates and times.
- Try an interactive exhibit: The museum’s interactive exhibits provide a hands-on learning experience that is both educational and fun. Take some time to explore the exhibits and participate in any demonstrations or activities that interest you.
- Visit the gift shop: The museum’s gift shop offers a variety of ice-themed souvenirs, including jewelry, sculptures, and other unique items. Take some time to browse the shop and bring home a memento of your visit.
By following these tips, you can have an enjoyable and memorable experience at the Fairbanks Ice Museum.
The Fairbanks Ice Museum is a unique attraction that offers visitors a glimpse into the world of ice sculptures, architecture, and interactive exhibits. The museum is housed in a building made entirely of ice, and visitors can explore a variety of exhibits that showcase the art and science of ice. From stunning ice sculptures to intricate ice architecture, the museum offers a one-of-a-kind experience that is both educational and entertaining.
Visitors to the museum can also attend Aurora Shows, where they can witness the natural wonder of the Northern Lights in a truly unique setting. With guided tours, interactive exhibits, and a gift shop that offers ice-themed souvenirs, the Fairbanks Ice Museum has something for everyone.
How much did you like Our detailed Explore the World of Ice at Fairbanks Ice Museum? Review Also, please share these Blogs with your friends on social media.
- Oregon Film Museum
- Littleton Museum
- Coastal Discovery Museum
- Museum of the Bizarre
- Denver Selfie Museum
Fairbanks Ice Museum FAQ
The Fairbanks Ice Museum is a unique attraction in Fairbanks, Alaska that showcases ice sculptures, ice architecture, and interactive exhibits. The museum is housed in a building made entirely of ice.
The museum was founded in 1939.
The ticket prices for the Fairbanks Ice Museum are $15 for adults, $10 for kids (ages 6-14), and $12 for groups of 10 or more. There are also combo deals available for ice and aurora shows.
The museum is open daily from 10 am to 6 pm, with the last admission at 5 pm.
Visitors are recommended to wear warm clothing and appropriate footwear, as the museum is kept at a cool temperature.
The length of the tour depends on the visitor, but it typically takes about 30 minutes to an hour to explore the museum.
Yes, visitors are allowed to take photos inside the museum.
Yes, the museum is accessible to visitors with disabilities. There are wheelchair ramps and an elevator available for visitors who need it.